Ling Junwu was born in 1962 in Suzhou city. He graduated from the Art Department of Nanjing Normal University in Jiangsu province. In 1995 he went to Beijing for a postgraduate study at the printmaking department of CAFA (Chinese Academy of Fine Arts). Directly after his graduation he received a post as an art teacher at CAFA.
The story goes that Ling Junwu became homesick after a while and went back to his place of birth. The old gardens of Suzhou became his artistic passion and his source of inspiration.
The artist is member of China Printmakers Association and painter at the Jiangsu Printmaking Institute. Junwu’s artworks were exhibited and awarded at national and international shows in Spain, France and Germany.
Ling Junwu works in the traditional Chinese woodblock technique of printing with water-soluble inks. This method produces an effect that makes the final print look similar to a watercolor. This printing form is predominant in Suzhou and in Jiangsu.
Awards and Ehhibitions
- 1991 – The art work “Caution Words – Mingyue Monk to Liucui” was selected to be shown at the 4th National Prints and Painting Show in Nanjing/China.
- 1992 – The art work “Passing Time” was selected to attend the 11th National Engraving Works Show in Beijing/China.
- 1994 – The art work “Kindliness can bring Luck” was selected to attend “Jiangsu Art Exposition” and won an outstanding prize.
- 1995 – The art work “The Taihu Lake Stone” was selected to attend “Jiangsu Young Printmakers Exhibition” and was collected by the provincial art museum.
- 1996 – The art work “The Taihu Lake Stone” was exhibited at the “Ten Artists Engraving Works Exhibition” held by the Central Art Institute Gallery in Beijing/China.
- 1996 – The art work “Leisure Mood” was selected to attend the 13th National Engraving Works Exhibition, Beijing/China.
- 1997 – The art work “Looking for Secrets” was selected to attend the 4th National Engraving Biennial Show in Spain.
- 1997 – “Looking for Secrets” was selected to attend the 6th National Prints and Paintings Exhibition in Shenyang/China.
- 1998 – “Leisure Mood No.2” won the copper prize at the Jiangsu Art Festival.
- 1999 – The “Zhen Zhong, Junwu, Zhang Lanjun Engraving Works Exhibition” was held by Social Science Graduate School in Beijing/China.
- 2000 – The art work “Quintessence” was selected to be shown at the international drawing contest called “Worldwide Millenium” in the United Kingdom.
- 2000 – The art work “Dreamland” was selected to be shown at the Qindao International Engraving Biennial Exhibition, Qindao/China.
- 2002 – The print work “Garden Impression” took part in a contest held by the Chinese “Art Periodical” for the occasion of the 30th anniversary of the periodical and was awarded as excellent art creation in Nannin/China.
- 2002 – The art print “Garden Impression” was shown at the 16th National Engraving Works Exhibition and was awarded with the bronze medal in Hefei/China.